Saturday, August 23, 2008

Working hard to 'Play' hard.....







This is my dad and step mom. They worked hard for over 25 years and then.....well, now let's just say they 'Play' hard.


They live in the Villages which is about an hour north of Orlando in Lady Lake.
These are not your typical plays that are low budget and stuffy.
These are Way Off Broadway (which isn't' too bad.....just have Broadway in your name is a good thing...) shows. These are shows that require 100's of hours of rehearsals, 100's of memorized lines, song lyrics, dance steps, and even 'staged' laughter...which I find very challenging. Stop reading right now and try to do your best fake laugh. Pretty tough, isn't it?

Thankfully both my step-mom and dad can sing really well and have done a number of duets together.
The first time I saw them on stage, I cried. I felt like a mother seeing her kids up there.
I was like, "Oh, my that's my daddy up there singing, dancing, and making jokes."
It was really neat.

Of course they do other things like take care of my grandfather, serve at their church, and spend time with their 15 grandchildren.

They moved into The Villages at the right time and built a beautiful home there. The funny thing is all of the homes have golf cart garages attached to the main garage. And then you see everyone riding on their carts, busy about getting to all the different things to do.
There is the downtown square where they have dancing, sell fun products, have little shops, and many restaurants to choose from. It's a nice place to retire to.

My step mom even had the fore site when they moved in and had the landscaping done to invest in what I think they call Snake Coverage. It was an extra $$$ few dollars but the lawn man assured her that she would have no snakes in her yard with this extra feature. I guess they have it all in The Villages!

Oh, my beautiful sister Tara also lives there for now with them until she finishes school and marries her fiance, Scott. So, Tara keeps us updated on all The Villages gossip......gossip, isn't' everyone over 55 there? What gossip.....you'd be surprised....it's General hospital...The later years...


So, next time your near Lady Lake...go check The Villages out....you will be surprised at how this little town is almost like the Jim Carey movie...The Truman Show...."Good morning, good afternoon, good-evening!" But, between you and me I'm not buying the whole 'snake coverage' thing.....:)

2 comments:

Terry Bleau said...

Can I just say that I really HATE snakes? Someone says he can keep them away for 50 bucks and I couldn't pay him fast enough! There was a reason that he asked when your dad was not around. I guess my degree in math doesn't mean too much when it comes to common sense!
Love you,
Terry

Unknown said...

LOL! I would love to zip around in a golf cart! We'd need to get extra large golf carts, Cheryl! It sounds like a nice community, but when I am 55, I'll still have teenagers in my home, so I probably couldn't move in! :)
I would definitely pay 50 bucks to keep snakes away...did it work?

Sounds like you have talented parents! My mom and dad have enjoyed boating and travel, but mostly stay home and do things with local grandkids (lucky PA grandkids!). They are involved at their church too, which is nice. My mom has a Tues. breakfast with a bunch of ladies... so nice! They are enjoying these years!